Friday, August 29, 2008

Vacay

I'm on vacation. It doesn't feel like I'm on vacation yet, but I'm on vacation. The original plan was that Mr. Jeep was taking Thursday off and we were going to go up north. We would be staying at my MIL's cottage until Tuesday am. Then we would be heading to the Platte River Campground for 2-3 days of camping. Then we would be going back to MIL's cottage until Sunday. Well, some of that is still going to happen. I found out on Tuesday that my mom's uncle passed away. He was basically like a grandfather to me since both of mine passed away when I was 4-6 years old. Visitation was yesterday and today and the funeral is tomorrow. So we'll be leaving after the funeral and luncheon tomorrow.

I don't want to sound disrespectful, because I am deeply and truly saddened by the loss of my uncle. However, having said that, why do people insist on dragging funerals out? I know that nobody likes going to a funeral or having to go to visitation. But I really really hate funerals. I have made it crystal clear to everyone and anyone that may be involved in the planning of my funeral that I want to be cremated. I have also told Mr. Jeep that I would be perfectly happy and eternally grateful if there was no visitation for me. Have the service or whatever and that's it. I think it is just weird to sit in a room with a dead person for 1-2 days. And truthfully when I look at the person in the casket, I don't think of it as being them. Not to get all religious or anything, but their soul has move don. They are someplace else. That was just their shell and now they're gone.

Anyway, we won't be home until Sunday. So hopefully the week will be fine. No Internet for a week! What interesting things will we come home to?

No comments: