Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Morning Run Report

I’ve decided I’m going to start doing a morning run report. I think this is going to help me in a couple of ways: 1) It will provide a pseudo run log and 2) hopefully help with I think it considered “hitting the wall”. Let’s talk about #2 for a moment. For the last couple of weeks whenever I go running I have had one hell of a time finishing. Usually the first mile is the hardest for me and then I’m fine. But lately every single mile is the hardest for me and I even struggle with *gasp* walking. I never do but I think about it really hard. I went running Sunday morning and did 4.6 miles. I planned on doing at least 6, but I got to the point where I could turn to go home and I honestly felt like I couldn’t run anymore and turned to go home. I didn’t run yesterday, but I went this morning. I ran 4.4 miles this morning (9:07/mile) and I felt good. I ran a different route than one of my normal ones that I choose from, so I’m thinking maybe this helped. I’m going to try and map out some different routes than what I normally do and see if maybe it’s just boredom with the same routine that’s making me dread running.

So the report for this morning was very good. Like I said, I ran 4.4 miles and I felt great. It was starting to get light out when I left. I love the fact that the sun starts rising so early now. I leave for my runs around 5:00 – 5:15 am, so it’s kind of nice that’s it not dark outside. And by the time I get back home it’s really light out. I wish I could carry my camera some mornings because the sunrises are so beautiful. It was about 65o when I left the house this morning and already was starting to feel humid. It’s supposed to be in the 90’s tomorrow and I think high humidity…summer is here in Michigan! I only passed one other person this morning and saw one rabbit. Oh and I ran through every cobweb in the area. I probably look like a crazy person some mornings because when I have to run where I think there may be cobwebs, I flail my arms out in front of me to clear the cobwebs before I have to run through them. It works, but I don’t always remember until it’s too late.

So that’s my first morning run report. Hopefully it helps me!

2 comments:

ReformingGeek said...

The morning report is a good idea. It does help to write things down.

Your morning runs sounds like my summer runs when I was still working, except it wasn't light yet at 5:15 am.

I tried to do 4.4 miles today in the heat. It was bad. I've been running very slow lately since I'm having problems with my hamstrings (tendonitis) and with this heat, as soon as my brain says "hot", my body reacts. I think a lot of it is psychological, although the older I get the less I can run when it's hot.

Changing your route is an awesome idea. I have several different routes I use to fight boredom and/or to train flat vs. hills.

Keep it up!

massage momma said...

I sort of have always kept a log, although I haven't been very consistent with it. Hopefully this will help.

I hope your hamstrings get better soon! That is the worst.

I agree with the psychological thing. Whenver I hear "high humidity" I also react.

I have about 2-3 different routes I choose from Monday-Thursday and then another 2 for the weekend to choose from. I think it's time to add another and lay off on some that I do regularly. Unfortunately it's not very hilly where I live, so I don't have that option. I wish I did.