So as I stated previously, I've been obsessed with Facebook. It hasn't been as bad as it was a few months ago. I'm amazed by how many people have found me and the people that I have found. It is crazy! Pretty much all of my friends use it and the new phrase I keep hearing amongst people is "Either send me an email or Facebook me and let me know". As of today, the look of Facebook has changed and I don't really care for it. Some of the status updates that people put on there are just plain stupid! I mean really, do I care that so-and-so is cleaning or cooking dinner. No, not really. Do I care that someone is going to work, bed, movies, shop, blah, blah, blah? No, not really. I guess they've changed the status portion so that it's more general. So you can put any random thought or whatever. I like this idea better, so maybe the new isn't so bad.
I have quite a few people that I went to high school with as "friends" on Facebook. I was very hesitant at first about accepting these people. Truthfully, I have one friend that I went to junior high and high school with that I still talk to. She is my female best friend (Mr. Jeep being the male). I do not talk or keep in touch with anyone else. So my thought was, if I haven't spoken to them in 19 years, why start now? But, alas, I gave in and friended a couple and then that led to more. The thing that kills me is that this one person that I was best friends with throughout junior high and high school, I just don't get. My friend Elena (the one I still keep in touch with) and I used to be best friends with the other one that I don't get (Julia). After I graduated from college I realized I needed to not have Julia in my life anymore. She was a real negative in my life. I could never count on her for anything. We'd make plans and she'd always cancel. I was the one who did all the work in the relationship and it was exhausting. The straw that broke the camel's back was at her wedding. I had been friends with her since 7-8th grade. She invited Elena and I to her wedding and we went. She didn't even say hello to either one of us at the reception. She and her creepy husband came up to our table and she talked to this other couple at our table, but said nothing to the two people she had been close friends with for about 11 years. So as soon as dinner was over, I left. Anyway, I saw that she was on Facebook. But I decided that since I hadn't spoken to her in about 12 years and didn't want her drama that I was not going to start now. I guess she sent Elena a message and wanted to know why I hadn't requested her as a friend. I was like "How old are we?" It was exactly like being back in high school. She eventually sent me a friend request and I accepted just to look at her profile. (which, side note, is why I have friended most people) The thing I don't get is that she has all of these people that we went to school with as friends and I know she didn't talk to them in high school. But now she leaves them all these messages on Facebook like she's long lost friends with them. I don't get it and never will.
I heard on the radio about this whole new category of people that are popping up that is related to Facebook. Apparently there are people that are now having these huge self-esteem issues because they don't have a lot of friends on Facebook. Or they'll get rejected as a friend and it opens up a whole new issue. I just think the whole thing is bizarre. However, even though I say it's bizarre, I still check it everyday!
2 comments:
Facebook is addicting but it's a tool and we should be in control of our tools, right?
Anyway, I'm seeing some of the same things you described and it's sad to think that people really care about how many friends they have on Facebook.
I think the new home page will be OK. I like it that you can filter by Friends so if you don't want to see status/crap from that person that you "friended" when you wish you hadn't, you don't have to.
Good Luck with it!
Yes, we should be in control of our tools.
I'm getting used to new home page. And you're right, I love the fact that I can filter the info that I don't want to see. One of my "friends" post a ton of political junk and now I don't have to see it anymore. It's fantastic!
Post a Comment